Welcome to the Information Technology Department at Southern Polytechnic
As part of the School of Computing and Software Engineering, the IT
Department offers both an undergraduate BSIT and a graduate MSIT program. To
ensure that our students receive the highest quality education possible, our
curriculum incorporates various courses from information technology, computer
science, software engineering and management, focusing on meeting the needs of
IT users within an organizational and societal context through the selection,
creation, application, integration and administration of computing technologies.
We also offer the BSIT Degree completely online through the WebBSIT program.
This program is a collaborative effort between five University System of Georgia
colleges and universities and is a wonderful alternative for those students who
donít have time in their busy lives to attend traditional classes on campus. In
addition to the online BSIT Degree, we also offer a variety of MSIT courses
online with either a full-time or half-time format.
In addition to the BSIT and MSIT degrees, we offer certificate programs for
those interested in taking graduate-level courses, but not obtaining an
For more information about the programs we offer, please follow the links
included within this website, or feel free to contact us by telephone at
678-915-4292. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Dr. Andy Ju An Wang
Information Technology (IT), as an academic discipline, focuses on meeting the needs of
users within an organizational and societal context through the selection, creation,
application, integration and administration of computing technologies. To succinctly put:
IT is using technology to apply information to meet business needs. IT professionals must know
how to apply computing technology and to build a business case for a real-world application.
The mission of the Department of Information Technology is to provide our students with quality
engineering education in IT, to undertake research at the frontiers of computing technologies,
and to serve the community and the profession.
The vision of the department is: We are dedicated to excellence and leadership in IT education, research, and practice.
Our commitment is demonstrated by:
- Providing quality education that offers opportunities for lifelong learning at multiple academic and professional levels;
- Expanding our body of knowledge by promoting scholarship, discovery, and interdisciplinary collaborative research;
- Promoting and supporting faculty involvement in all aspects of IT research and development;
- Encouraging faculty and students to take leadership roles in the application of information technology to solve real-world problems by the selection, creation, integration and administration of computing technologies;
- Cultivating an inclusive environment that reflects cultural diversity and facilitates achievement of oneís potential;
- Increasing awareness, visibility, and recognition of the profession of information technology.
- Producing quality graduates with excellent preparation in IT for Georgia.
The primary strategic goal of the department is to become a nationally eminent academic organization
in teaching and research in the community of IT education. The implementation of this goal is based,
among other things, on innovative teaching, curriculum enhancement, research productivity in the
high-prestige publications of information technology, securing of external and internal funding,
and faculty participation at the national level in conference direction and policy initiatives
related to information technology.
The program educational objectives support the missions of the institution and of the school.
The educational objectives of the BSIT program are as follows:
The BSIT Program will enable its graduates to
- Have the ability to hold progressively more responsible positions in the IT field,
including positions that are supervisory or managerial in nature.
- Engage in life-long learning and professional development.
- Communicate effectively as an IT professional with users, peers, and higher management.
- Work effectively on teams, whether as a participant or as a leader.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior as an IT professional and sensitivity to the impact of technology on society.
- Pursue and successfully complete an advanced degree if desired.
Each graduate of the program should be able to:
- apply problem solving skills, core IT concepts, best practices and standards to information technologies;
- identify and evaluate organizational requirements and current and emerging technologies;
- select, design, integrate and administer IT-based solutions into the organizational environment;
- communicate effectively, both in writing and in speaking;
- demonstrate an ability to participate effectively in the planning and execution of team projects;
- describe the impact of IT solutions in a global, societal, and ethical context;
- describe the need for lifelong learning and some of the methods for engaging in it.
© 2005 - 2006 SPSU Information Technology Department.